Breaking News: New Occupation List and Cap limits for Federal Skilled Worker Program (FSWP), Federal Skilled Trades Program (FSTP) and Canadian Experience Class (CEC)


April 23, 2014 —  Canada’s Citizenship and Immigration Minister Chris Alexander today announced new measures in key economic immigration programs to prepare for next year’s launch of Express Entry, Canada’s new active recruitment model.

To prepare for the launch of Express Entry in 2015, Citizenship and Immigration Canada will begin accepting applications under new caps for the Federal Skilled Worker Program (FSWP), Federal Skilled Trades Program (FSTP) and Canadian Experience Class (CEC), starting May 1, 2014. These measures will ensure a steady supply of skilled workers who are settling in Canada permanently and helping to supplement the Canadian workforce in areas where there are skills shortages.

Federal Skilled Worker Program:

Federal Skilled Workers are chosen as permanent residents based on their ability to prosper in Canada. They are assessed according to a selection grid made up of six factors, including language, education, work experience, etc.

  • Overall cap of 25,000 applications in eligible occupations stream
  • Cap of 500 applications for PhD eligibility stream
  • No limit on applicants who have a valid job offer from a Canadian employer
  • Sub-caps of 1,000 applications for each of the 50 eligible occupations below (their 2011 National Occupational Classification (NOC) code is included in brackets):
  1. Senior managers – financial, communications and other business services (0013)
  2. Senior managers – trade, broadcasting and other services, n.e.c. (0015)
  3. Financial managers (0111)
  4. Human resources managers (0112)
  5. Purchasing managers (0113)
  6. Insurance, real estate and financial brokerage managers (0121)
  7. Managers in health care (0311)
  8. Construction managers (0711)
  9. Home building and renovation managers (0712)
  10. Managers in natural resources production and fishing (0811)
  11. Manufacturing managers (0911)
  12. Financial auditors and accountants (1111)
  13. Financial and investment analysts (1112)
  14. Securities agents, investment dealers and brokers (1113)
  15. Other financial officers (1114)
  16. Professional occupations in advertising, marketing and public relations (1123)
  17. Supervisors, finance and insurance office workers (1212)
  18. Property administrators (1224)
  19. Geoscientists and oceanographers (2113)
  20. Civil engineers (2131)
  21. Mechanical engineers (2132)
  22. Electrical and electronics engineers (2133)
  23. Petroleum engineers (2145)
  24. Information systems analysts and consultants (2171)
  25. Database analysts and data administrators (2172)
  26. Software engineers and designers (2173)
  27. Computer programmers and interactive media developers (2174)
  28. Mechanical engineering technologists and technicians (2232)
  29. Construction estimators (2234)
  30. Electrical and electronics engineering technologists and technicians (2241)
  31. Industrial instrument technicians and mechanics (2243)
  32. Inspectors in public and environmental health and occupational health and safety (2263)
  33. Computer network technicians (2281)
  34. Nursing co-ordinators and supervisors (3011)
  35. Registered nurses and registered psychiatric nurses (3012)
  36. Specialist physicians (3111)
  37. General practitioners and family physicians (3112)
  38. Dietitians and nutritionists (3132)
  39. Audiologists and speech-language pathologists (3141)
  40. Physiotherapists (3142)
  41. Occupational therapists (3143)
  42. Respiratory therapists, clinical perfusionists and cardiopulmonary technologists (3214)
  43. Medical radiation technologists (3215)
  44. Medical sonographers (3216)
  45. Licensed practical nurses (3233)
  46. Paramedical occupations (3234)
  47. University professors and lecturers (4011)
  48. Psychologists (4151)
  49. Early childhood educators and assistants (4214)
  50. Translators, terminologists and interpreters (5125)

Federal Skilled Trades Program:

This program is for people who want to become permanent residents based on being qualified in a skilled trade.

  • Overall cap of 5,000 applications
  • All 90 skilled trades from the following NOC Skill Level B groups are eligible (with sub-caps of 100 applications each):
    • Major Group 72: Industrial, electrical and construction trades;
    • Major Group 73: Maintenance and equipment operation trades;
    • Major Group 82: Supervisors and technical occupations in national resources, agriculture and related production;
    • Major Group 92: Processing, manufacturing and utilities supervisors and central control operators;
    • Minor Group 632: chefs and cooks;
    • Minor Group 633: butchers and bakers.

Canadian Experience Class:

This program is for people who already have skilled work experience in Canada and want to immigrate permanently.

  • Overall cap of 8,000 applications
  • Sub-caps of 200 applications each for any NOC B occupation
  • Six ineligible occupations: administrative officers (NOC code 1221), administrative assistants (1241), accounting technicians/bookkeepers (1311), cooks (6322), food service supervisors (6311), and retail sales supervisors (6211).

The new Ministerial Instructions will also re-confirm the existing pause of applications to the federal Immigrant Investor and Entrepreneur Programs.

One of our licensed immigration consultants can speak with you in person, online or on the phone about your unique immigration situation and give you a breakdown of your options.bookappointment

This entry was posted in Canadian Experience Class (CEC), canadian immigration, Federal Skilled Trades Program, Federal Skilled Trades Worker, federal skilled worker, Federal Skilled Worker Program and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

90 Responses to Breaking News: New Occupation List and Cap limits for Federal Skilled Worker Program (FSWP), Federal Skilled Trades Program (FSTP) and Canadian Experience Class (CEC)



  2. jaspreet says:

    i am a dentist.i have completed my bachelors in dental surgery and now i am working and managing a dental department in charitable hospital from last 2 years.m i eligible under FSWP code 0311?


    Dear sir, I would like to apply for the posr. 3011.May I know the details about how to apply for it, and what may be the total cost. Thank you.

  4. kareena says:

    I am working for bank and have international overall experience of 18 monthsand I am Masters in Environmental management . Am I eligible for FSWP in code 1212. Pl advise.

  5. Nitin says:

    I want to apply under FSW program. I am m working as Assistant Professor in a College affiliated under a reputed university since August 2008. Am I eligible to apply under NOC 4011? Since im working in a college ,though its a affiliated college under a reputed University so im a bit confused.Plzz Reply

    • Vijit says:

      Hi. I am seeking an answer for the same.
      Can you post here if you come to know about it?

      Good day!

    • Amanpreet kaur says:

      Hi Nitin, I am also seeking answer for the same, Please mail me if you got any response from a satisfactory source. My mobile no. is 9999213012

      • Harman Bajwa says:

        No you guys are not eligible for the same as u all are working as ASSt. Professor , but they require professors and that too from University directly not from so called Colleges which are under the university because during paper work they need only university papers or if you tried to play with your papers as Indians mostly punjabis do bcs they can do anything to go to aborad .. you will be in deep shit and will lead to the criminal case against you .. instead of going to canada u will be behind bars lolz…so get experience in university and the go for the process.
        wish you very best of luck.

  6. Mauricio Lattuf says:

    Greetings, I graduated in tax income law and studied english in Minnesota for 9 months back in 2004, i would like to know what opportunities are available for me as i am from Venezuela. I appreciate your help. Thanks.

  7. kannaki says:

    Dear sir/madam
    I am registered nurse and working as nursing lecturer
    Am I eligible to apply under university lecturer or professor? I have already applied for Quebec and got file number. Now if I want to apply for federal, is it possible for me to apply? Please reply to my questions

  8. Dear sir,
    i am presently working in canada, planned to apply for permanent Residence under federal skilled worker program, but iam eligible on federal skilled trade program, iam confused which one to apply, iam a fulltime worker with 40hrs + working as cook, pls advice. in trade program only 100 application each job,,,

  9. Rupali says:

    I have done b.ed and graduate diploma in primary education from Australia . Can I apply as an early childhood educator for Canadian pr .
    Please advise

  10. Suresh says:

    I am a Project Management profession having 5 years of it possible to apply for Canada under your NOC.

  11. Vijit says:

    I am really confused about 4011 (University Professors and Lecturers).
    The confusion is that whether lecturers/assistant professors working in Private Engineering/Business Colleges affiliated to Universities (i.e private colleges giving university degrees) are eligible to apply under 4011?

    Kindly help to clear this confusion.

  12. Amanpreet kaur says:


    I am a lecturer in IP University affiliated college, Can I apply for NOC 4011 .My role and responsibilities mostly matches with the duties as I am H.O.D in IT department. Please assist as soon as possible.

    Thanks in Advance

  13. Shikha says:

    Hello sir,
    I am a registered pharmacist and i worked as purchase manager as well as sales manager in a private pharmacy. Am I eligible for purchasing manager category 0113 under FSWP. Please reply asap.

  14. Umair says:

    I am Computer Engineer and work as a lecturer in Engineering Unversity from last 3 year can Ieligble under NOC 4011 ?
    Waiting for your reply


  15. ronny aranaga says:

    I have a Bachelors in Chemical Engineering with 6 years experience in Oil and Gas in the USA. I wonder, since Chemical Engineer category is not on the list this year, can I apply under Petroleum Engineer?

  16. Gagandeep singh says:

    Hello sir….I have done masters in computer science and having experience if 6 years …can I apply for university lecturer category????

  17. Tariq Ahmed Tarar says:

    I’m phd statistics
    12 years experience in reputable college as a assistant professor.Am I eligible for canada immigration


  18. Jannatun Nayeem says:

    Hello sir,
    I have done masters in Mathematics from University of Dhaka and having experience in teaching 8 years at reputed Private University named Ahsanullah University of Science and Technology. Can I apply for university lecturer category? Please reply.

  19. Stella says:

    My husband have Higher National Diploma and Post Graduate Diploma, both in Mechanical Engineering Technology. He is also a member of Nigerian Association of Tecnologists in Engineering and have 6years experience. Can he apply under NOC 2232? And how much will it cost travelling with family?

  20. Md. Sakhawat Ansary says:

    Dear Sir I am a Pharmacist.I completed my Post graduation (M. Pharm).and also had 6.0 years job experience in Pharma factory.Am I eligible for canada immigration.
    Md. Sakhawata Ansary

  21. dear boss
    i ve a 2year diploma refrigeration and graduation complete. i ve expirence
    18 years in india and gulf. now am mep supervisor in abu dhabi in eta group of emco
    now i want a job in Canada so help me. thank u so much

  22. Akanksha says:

    Dear sir/madam
    I am a registered pharmacist (M.Pharm) and working as a lecturer in pharmacy college affiliated to Mumbai university since 3 years.
    Am I eligible to apply under university lecturer or professor? Please reply.

  23. Aavish says:

    I had done masters in business administration and now working as a manufacturing manager in a ceramics industry. I want to apply for FSW program.kindly guide me.


  24. KUSHAL PATEL says:

    Dear Sir,

    I have completed Instrumentation Engineering from Mumbai University. I have 10 years experience in purchase department or instrumentation items in Oil & Gas / Petro chemical industry. Request to guide me for application procedure and eligibility requirements. Thank you.

  25. Joanah says:

    I am working in a bank here in the Philippines. My job will best fit NOC code 1311 for accounting technicians and bookkeepers which belongs to the classified elsewhere category of Financial Auditors and Accountants (1111). An immigration consultant said that I will qualify though I have apprehensions and doubts in continuing my application. Please help enlighten me on this matter to avoid time and financial loss. Thank you.

  26. Jaswinder Sidhu says:

    Dear sir
    I am computer teacher in senior secondary school .Have a 6 yr Exp.
    am i eligible to apply under FSW.

  27. S Prasad says:

    I hold a masters degree in dentistry and for the last 5 years have been teaching dental students in a dental college that awards its own degrees . My job description matches the duties and responsibilities for the category 4011 and i am registered with the dental council of the country as well.
    I wish to apply under the 4011 category . However, what confuses me a bit is ,the suffix University to the word Assistant Professor , as i work in a College affiliated to a University.
    Can i go ahead and apply under the 4011.
    In anticipation

  28. Akanksha says:

    Not received a reply yet.

  29. luis montoy says:

    Hello Sir,

    I studied finances and I have been working at an insurance company for the past 5 years, I will like to apply for a financial position.
    I’m 29 years old, I’m married and we have a year old boy and we are expecting a baby boy for january. If you could please send me more information.

  30. HONEY jACOB says:

    I am Anju. Iwould like to know can u extend the time till May for 4211(FSWP)

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *