Immigration Canada to Create New ‘Skilled Trades Worker’ Program

The federal government will be creating a new Federal Skilled Worker Program specifically for tradespeople later in the year, that is intended to help meet Canada’s shortage of skilled trades labor.

Immigration Minister Jason Kenney remarked that “we are facing huge and growing labour shortages in Canada, particularly here in the West and in Alberta” at a construction site in Calgary earlier in the month.

The current Federal Skilled Worker Program scores immigration applicants out of 100 points, with a passing score of 67. The criteria the score is based on are English/French language ability, education, work experience, age, the existence of a Canadian job offer to them, and their adaptability.

The assessment criteria have been unfavorable to skilled tradespeople, who generally score lower on language ability and education than skilled professionals, resulting in skilled tradespeople making up only three percent of those accepted under the current Federal Skilled Workers Program.

The new skilled trades immigration class will put more emphasis on practical training, as opposed to just formal education, and will favor trade workers skilled in construction, mining, transportation, manufacturing and services.


6 thoughts on “Immigration Canada to Create New ‘Skilled Trades Worker’ Program

  1. Sir,
    Tool and Die maker(Noc-7232) category can come under “trade workers skilled in construction, mining, transportation, manufacturing and services.”

    • If the duties can match a title, then it is possible. Since the new job list has not been released yet, we do not know which occupations will be accepted.

  2. sir, 10+2 education can apply or must have diploma in the relavant field only. i have 10+2, ielts (GT) 5.5 overall, plumber training certificate, and experience of 3 years in government office. so can i apply? in this immigration can i apply with my spouse?? and will i get PR card within 2 months as that of federal skilled workers policy?

  3. Dir Sir,
    I am qualified Tool design engineer with having more than 8 years of experience , I have done Diploma in Tool & Die making + 10 +2 format with 6 band each in IELTS . Could please guide me in which category I would apply for PR , By profession I am design engineer and as per qualification I am Tool & Die Maker ,
    Shall I apply for Mechanical Draftsmen or as a Tool & Die maker?

    Please kindly suggests me for further execution.

    Thanks & regards,

  4. I have done 4 year diploma in mach.engg. tool&die. how can i get PR to canada provinces like manitoba,monteral etc.i want to go throgh study visa.but i have not much money.and someone tells me that i can go through work experiance.pls tell me the safer and easier way to go to canada.

    pls reply
    thank you.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *